montemerano piazza del forno (2)

 

It is thought that during the Middle Ages Piazza del Forno was the site of markets and games. Some of the rooms that overlooked the square were part of the adjacent Palazzo Pretorio where there were two communal ovens (according to 1572 documents). These buildings were later purchased by Carlo Carli in 1786, who put the coat of arms of his family on the entrance arch. The right side entrance holds a particular sight, from the not so distant past: “W MAZZINI”, written in black, reflects the spirit of the Risorgimento and the Republicans in Montemerano in the nineteenth century.